Your face is one of the few places on your body where your skin is constantly on show. It is the part of your body that everyone looks at and it is even that part for which you are remembered. So a good face skin care routine is incredibly important when it comes to keeping your facial skin in good condition and for protecting it from the elements that it is exposed to.
What is a face skin care routine?
Most of us have a routine when it comes to cleaning and looking after our skin each morning and evening. Even if it is just a quick clean in the shower or it is more involved, it is an essential part of our day. Most experts agree that there are a few steps that should be taken to ensure the best outcome for your skin.
Face skin care routine steps
- Cleanse: Use warm water and a cleanser that is suitable for your skin type. This may mean a cream cleanser and no water if your skin is especially dry. Using circular motions, rub the cleanser into the skin and then rinse carefully. A cream cleanser will usually be wiped off with cotton pads.
- Tone: You can use either an alcohol or non-alcohol based toner to close your pores and refine your skin following cleansing. Using a cotton pad soaked in toner, just wipe across the skin and allow to dry. This also prepares your skin for the following steps.
- Moisturise: You should use a moisturiser on those areas of your skin that need it the most or a very light moisturiser can be used across the entire facial area. If it is the morning you should be using a good sun protection depending on the time of the year and in the evening a richer night cream is a great idea. You should try to choose a moisturiser that is designed for your skin type as this will help you to avoid excessive oil or dry spots.
- Exfoliate: Once or twice a week you can use an exfoliant to clear your skin of dead skin cells and reveal fresher skin. You can make your own exfoliator by using grains of sugar mixed with coconut oil or olive oil. This avoids the use of micro-beads which have been shown to be harmful to marine life.
- Masks: Once a week you may also want to use a mask to give your skin a deep clean. Peel off masks and mud masks will lift away dirt and blackheads, while moisture filled masks such as mashed avocado will make your skin more supple.
Protecting your skin from the sun and the environmental pollutants in the area is just as important as your daily skincare routine – so don’t forget to cover up and clean off that dirt regularly.